Have you ever found yourself standing in your kitchen staring at the cabinets, overwhelmed with the thought of replacing them? You notice greasy fingerprints in and around the cabinet handles along with specks of food and oil mist that show clearly in the right, or wrong, light. You may have thought to yourself, what are the best paint sprayers for cabinets? Well, you’re not alone! Thousands of people contemplate remodeling their kitchen and that often starts with the cabinets.
Before you rush into hiring a kitchen remodeling expert, consider looking at the best paint sprayer for cabinets. This may seem like an impossible task but rest assured, with the right tools, you can get the job done like a pro.
Here at SprayThePaint.Com, we recommend using any one of the top-rated paint sprayers we review in this post. Why brush when you can spray?
|Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Sprayer||Check Price|
|Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO HVLP||Check Price|
|Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld||Check Price|
- What to consider when choosing the best paint sprayer for cabinets
- How should you prepare kitchen cabinets for spray painting?
- What to look for in HVLP spray guns for cabinets?
- Why a beautiful finish is important
- What are the safety practices for HVLP sprayers?
- Should you buy a cheap paint sprayer?
- The Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Sprayer
- Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO HVLP
- Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld
What to consider when choosing the best paint sprayer for cabinets
In this article, we break down the most important things to consider when looking for the best paint sprayer for cabinets. Remember the old saying “the right tool for the job”? The last thing you want is a paint sprayer designed to paint cars when all you need is the best paint sprayer for cabinets.
What size of tip should I use to spray paint cabinets?
You are going to want a small tip in order to get the right finish without too much paint exiting the sprayer. Overspray will be visible to you and your guests when it dries so be sure to get the right-sized tip. We recommend something in the 311 size range.
If the paint sprayer you choose has a cap, be sure to set the fan width to six inches.
What type of spray painter is best for cabinets?
In addition to the tip size, you also want to make sure you choose the right type of spray gun. There are three common choices when looking at the best paint sprayer for cabinets:
- HVLP (high volume, low pressure)
If you are planning to paint your kitchen cabinets indoors, you’ll want to look at the best HVLP paint sprayers available on the market. High-pressure sprayers are great for vehicles and generally any outdoor paint projects (i.e. fences, sheds, homes).
An HVLP paint sprayer is typically a lighter product, making it easier to handle in smaller spaces.
Of course, by design, this type of paint sprayer produces a large volume of paint and reduced pressure, allowing you to control the spray more accurately than other types of sprayers. This seems like common-sense criteria, but many people often opt for the larger product and have too much spray for the job.
How should you prepare kitchen cabinets for spray painting?
We oftentimes get discouraged when we consider taking on what seems to be a monumental project like painting kitchen cabinets. Let’s break down the key steps to prepare.
- Don’t jump right into priming your cabinets. Be sure to degrease first and be sure to use the right cleaning agent.
- Cover countertops, floors, and appliances with clear plastic. We recommend clear so that you can find items you may accidentally leave on counters that you may need to retrieve.
- Use a quality primer. This also helps you get a feel for the paint sprayer you purchased.
- Use lightweight sandpaper to gently smooth the surfaces you’ll be painting.
What to look for in HVLP spray guns for cabinets?
When you consider the best paint sprayers for cabinets, be sure to consider the following:
- How often will you use the paint sprayer after your kitchen cabinet project?
- For example, will you use it for indoor or outdoor furniture in the future?
- Are there other similar projects that may allow good use of the paint sprayer?
- Product reviews
- Take the time to read what others are saying about the best paint sprayers for cabinets. If you purchase from Amazon, head to the reviews section and be sure to look at the good, the bad, and the ugly. If the majority of consumers were satisfied with the product, you’ll make the right choice. Remember, Amazon offers an amazing return policy that is one of the easiest in the industry.
- Product warranty
- Look closely at the paint sprayer warranty before you buy.
Why a beautiful finish is important
Here at SprayThePaint.Com, we spend a lot of time in our kitchen. We cook, drink, socialize, and of course, we spend a lot of time cleaning up!
What are on of the first things people notice when they enter your kitchen? You guessed it, your cabinets!
This is why it is so important to prep and prime before you begin painting. When you do start, you’ll want to apply even layers. Be sure to allow ample drying time in between layers. Be patient and focus entirely on your strokes and the volume of paint.
A nice, even finish will breathe life into your beloved kitchen.
Professionals will tell you that only they can achieve this seemingly difficult task. That’s simply not true. Statistics show a price range between $400 and $1000 in labor alone.
If there’s one thing DIY’ers agree on, it’s that we love to save money doing things for ourselves.
What are the safety practices for HVLP sprayers?
When you are considering the best paint sprayer for cabinets, it is very important to think about safety. That goes without saying but often times we hear about people jumping right into the job without much thought on protecting themselves and their family.
Here are the key safety practices to consider when using an HVLP paint sprayer:
- Fumes – be sure the area is adequately ventilated and you have the proper mask on for painting
- Store dishes and other items that may serve food or beverages in a location away from your project. If you are painting your cabinets in place, be sure to move all items to another room before you start painting.
- Your eyes! Be sure to wear safety goggles, preferably those designed for spray painting.
- If your pets have food and water bowls in or near your kitchen or work area, move them to another location before painting.
Should you buy a cheap paint sprayer?
Here at SprayThePaint.Com, we believe the good ole saying “you get what you pay for”!
While it’s always nice to be able to afford the best paint sprayer for cabinets, that’s not always an option. The good news is you can find a good quality product at an affordable price. Keep in mind, you want a balance of quality, cost, warranty, customer service, and a generous return policy in the event you end up with buyer’s remorse.
Outside of the key things to consider, be sure to take a look at the GPM rating of each product you review. This is the gallons per minute specification and is typically lower on cheaper models.
Finally, we get to the good part.
Dan has gathered both his personal experiences with using the best paint sprayers for cabinets and also feedback from his community of DIY’ers to bring you his top three choices. Enjoy!
The Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Sprayer
When considering your budget for the best paint sprayer for cabinets, Wagner has a product that won’t let you down. The Wagner Control Spray Double Duty Sprayer is a great, wallet-friendly, HVLP option for the DIY’er.
Here are the criteria Dan set for this choice:
- Wagner has this sprayer priced under $100
- Can be used on multiple surfaces
- Provides a variety of settings
- Easy to clean
Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO HVLP
If you are looking for the best paint sprayer for cabinets in the semi-pro range, look no further than the Fuji 2202 Semi-PRO HVLP system. This sprayer offers a user-friendly experience with professional results.
Here are the criteria Dan set for this choice:
- Can be used to paint cabinets, ceilings, walls, shutters, fences, and more
- Professional-grade yet user-friendly
- Non-bleed and a fan control knob
- Lightweight and portable
Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld
If you are looking for the best paint sprayer for cabinets in the premium, extremely portable, and easy-to-use category, you must take a look at the Graco Ultra Max Cordless Airless Handheld paint sprayer.
Here are the criteria Dan set for this choice:
- This paint sprayer is powered by a Dewalt XR lithium-ion system
- It’s cordless
- Reliable pump
- Designed with a triple piston pump for performance and durability
- Can spray a variety of mixtures including solvents, water, and flammable materials
When I first started playing around with paint sprayers, I made the mistake of buying an unknown brand from a manufacturer who sells a lot of volume at cheap prices. That product worked once and then began failing. I ended up replacing it with a Graco cordless. I’ve never looked back as I am able to bring this awesome, extremely portable sprayer anywhere I need it. It was well worth the cost as it works tremendously well and is easy to maintain.
When you are looking for the best paint sprayer for cabinets, be sure to check all three boxes: Easy to use – Affordable – Quality Build.
Be sure to check out my blog on the best paint sprayers for furniture here.
Please take a moment to share your experiences with paint sprayers here on my blog or visit us on Facebook. Thanks for reading!